It is so easy to get caught up in the comparison game. Who has the better job, the cooler stuff, the biggest parties, and the best “lifestyle” blog…you know the ones, where every outfit, party, craft, house, life is perfect. I’d say I wish, but I’m not sure if I do.
Let’s talk about my “lifestyle blog.” I spend about 30 days per year photographing something (vacation, families, a wedding or two, my own projects, etc.); there are another 15-ish days to hosting shindigs and happy hours. A smattering of days are focused on the crafting arts, read: spray paint, and a full week is spent on my devotion to sending tax-deductions to the goodwill. If I really buckled down, I could throw that image out there, life would be perfect, the world would envy my great luck, and people would want to be me. But then there are the other 300-ish days of the year.
The rest of that time, oh team, is spent on the following ideas/things:
- societal constraints toward women and how women don’t win, and that is a problem
- singleness. the never-ending, poke-my-eye-out discussion of the church
- discussions and articles on dating culture, not just the church! everyone’s screwed! it’s nice not to feel alone.
- figuring out how long I can hit snooze before I’m actually late to work
- why everyone should go to counseling
- pinterest: cocktail ideas! DIYS! make-my-own clothes! (because #insane)
- the evils of high fructose corn syrup
- singleness. (I kid you not — so bad it’s on there twice)
- realizing the older I get the less I like people and their personalities, can I get an amen on that one
- gushing about whatever my most recent obsession is
- the internet
- hulu, netflix, abc family app, usa app, cbs app, on-demand (it’s a problem)
…and let me tell you, that isn’t sexy lifestyle blog fodder. Except, it actually is life, so maybe it is. It will always come with a pretty picture, cause I’m me. Parties will always be styled, because again, me. But you also might get a rant about how periods (not the punctuation kind) are not offensive, and the NYC MTA can shove it, or that medieval prostitution led to really weird modern viewpoints on sexuality within the church. I may gush about the ballet in one sentence and roll my eyes about the opera in the next. I will definitely talk about being bi-racial. I can love and hate my hair within the same breath; it’s a great prop…it’s the devil, depends on the millisecond.
One day there may be a cool recipe or crafty project or photo shoot or shopping favs, and the next day there might be an article about…well, periods.
I wonder what tomorrow will bring (since it’s come up twice, if you guess periods and advertising, you might be totally right. Sorry to the .2% of men who stumbled across this, but it just might be the day for an expanded education).